Dr. Chase Lay is a Facial Plastic Surgeon with sub-specialty experience in Asian eyelid surgery, Oculoplastics, and facial rejuvenation.
Dr. Lay attended medical school at the University of Texas in Galveston. He later completed his Head & Neck surgery training during his Otolaryngology residency in Springfield, IL. It was there that Dr. Lay acquired his special skills in facial plastic and eyelid surgery.
He later went on to complete a Facial Plastic Surgery fellowship in Los Altos, CA with Dr. Mittelman where he polished his skills in facelift and chin implant surgeries.
Over the last 5 years Dr. Lay has performed surgeries in Asia, and has been an invited speaker at numerous meetings and training programs around the world.
Dr. Lay is dedicated to his local community and the medical community. He volunteers his time and expertise at area health institutions, coaches football, and teaches medical students and resident surgeons in training.
Dr. Lay is well traveled. He speaks some Mandarin Chinese and Thai.
Dr. Lay's CV in brief:
- 2001 – B.S. Neuroscience: University of Texas at Dallas
- 2005 – M.D.: University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
Residency, Fellowship, & International Experience
- Southern Illinois University Dept of General Surgery Internship 2005-2006.
- Southern Illinois University Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 2006-2010.
- Southern Illinois University Oculoplastics (Cosmetic & Reconstructive). Prairie Eye Center Springfield, IL with Dr. Stuart Farris. 2006-2010.
- Facial Plastics Fellowship with Harry Mittelman, MD. Los Altos, CA 2010.
- Oculoplastic Surgery with Kim Cockerham, MD. Los Altos, CA 2010.
- Eyelid, Orbital, Head & Neck, Cleft Lip & Palate surgery: Hanoi, Vietnam 2006-2010.
- Facial Plastic Surgery: Bangkok, Thailand 2009.
Clinical & Surgical Interests
- Facial Plastic & Oculoplastic Surgery (Cosmetic & Reconstructive)
- Revision Eyelid Surgery
- Asian Facial Plastics
- Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery & Orbital Decompression
- Head & Neck Cancer
- Oculoplastics: Asian oculoplastics, adult strabismus, sphenoid wing/skull base tumor biopsy and removal, ptosis repair, entropion repair, ectropion repair, blepharoplasty, orbital and periorbital abscess I&D, oncologic surgical (excision and reconstruction), optic nerve decompression, dacrocystorhinosostomy (open & endoscopic), tarsal strip, punctoplasty, orbital reconstruction, eye enucleation, orbital exenteration, canthoplasty, canthopexy, frontalis sling
- ENT Head & Neck: Sinus surgery, skull base surgery, reconstructive rhinoplasty and septoplasty
- Facial Plastics: Full head and neck reconstruction, orbital reconstruction, free tissue transfer for the head and neck, facelift, blepharoplasty, fat transfer, rhinoplasty, otoplasty, microtia reconstruction, craniofacial surgery, cleft lip and palate, palatoplasty, trauma, burn reconstruction.
- American Board of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
- American Academy of Facial Plastics and Reconstruction
- 2001 - Dean’s Award for Excellence in Neuroscience – UT Dallas
- 2001 to 2005 - Carl J. Herzog Memorial Scholarship – Univ Texas Medical Branch Galveston
- 2007 – Surgical Teaching Award - SIU SOM Department of Surgery
- 2008 - Surgical Teaching Award - SIU SOM Department of Surgery
- 2009 - Surgical Teaching Award - SIU SOM Department of Surgery
- 2010 - Surgical Teaching Award - SIU SOM Department of Surgery
- 1998 to 2000 - Academic Tutor & Mentor – UT Dallas
- 1999 to 2001 – Neuroscience Lecturer & Professor’s Aid– UT Dallas
- 2009 to 2010 – Administrative Chief SIU SOM Div OTOHNS
- 2012 to present - Co-proctor Oculoplastic & Facial Plastic Surgery Fellowship with Kim Cockerham, MD
- Combined Fractionated CO2 & Low Power Erbium:YAG Laser Treatments. Harry Mittleman, Maxwell Furr, Chase Lay. Facial Plastic Clinics of North America. 2012
- Upper-lid Transconjunctival En-bloc Excision of Orbital Rhabdomyosarcoma. AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting, San Diego; October, 2009.
- Neurosarcoidosis Mimicking Meningitis after Sinus Surgery. AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting, San Diego; October, 2009.
- Facial Keratoacanthoma: Treatment Cost Analysis and Outcomes. AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting, San Diego; October, 2009.
- Allergen vial mixing and immunotherapy: Risks of infection and vial contamination. P Chase Lay, Richard Bass, and Sandra Lin. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (2007) 137, 243 – 245.
- Risks of Allergy Vial Contamination: Comparison of Mixing In-Office versus Under Ventilation Hood. P Chase Lay, Richard Bass, and Sandra Lin. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (2008) 139, 364 – 366.
- Safety of Multi-dose Vials in Allergy Immunotherapy. Sandra Lin, P Chase Lay, and Richard Bass. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (2008) 139, 195-197
- Recommendations for Safe Allergen Vial Preparation in the Office Setting. P Chase Lay. Current Opinion in Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery. 2009 Jun; 17(3):223-5.
Invited National & International Lectures Given
- Risk of Infection from Allergen Vials Prepared in the Office. Presenter and Panelist AAOA National Meeting September, 2006.
- Intracranial & Orbital Complications of Sinusitis in Pediatric Patients. Hanoi, Vietnam: Bach Mai Hospital September, 2007.
- Traumatic Optic Neuropathy and Orbital Apex Syndrome. Hanoi, Vietnam: “E” Hospital. September, 2007
- Oculoplastics: Approaches to Orbital Vault & Levator Advancement. Hanoi, Vietnam: “E” Hospital. September, 2007
- Nasal Reconstruction. Hanoi, Vietnam: “E” Hospital September, 2007
- Approaches for best long term results of Asian Eyelid Surgery. Hanoi, Vietnam: Bach Mai Hospital. March, 2008.
- Office-based Allergy Practice in Otolaryngology: Analysis of Safety. SIU Department of Surgery Research Meeting Springfield, IL April 2008
- Safety of Multi-dose Vials in Allergy Immunotherapy. Horst Konrad Resident Research Day SIU Division of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery, Springfield, IL May 2008.
- Oculoplastics in Otolaryngology. Newton D. Fischer Society Meeting, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill June 2008.
- Management of Pediatric Mandible Fractures. Springfield, IL July 2008.
- Risks of Allergy Vial Contamination: Comparison of Mixing In-Office versus Under Ventilation Hood. AAOA National Meeting Chicago, IL September 2008.
- Oculoplastics: Approaches to Orbital Vault & Levator Advancement. Newton D. Fischer Society Meeting, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC June 2009
- Facial Fractures: Treatment Options and Perioperative Issues. St. John’s Hospital, Springfield, IL June 2009
- The Treatment of Pediatric Hemangiomas of the Head & Neck. Carol Jo Vecchie Women & Children’s Center. St. John’s Hospital, Dept. of Pediatrics, Springfield, IL December 2009
- Surgical Treatment of Thyroid Disease. City of Cupertino CA Health Fair. August 2011.